• The Vice Rector has primary leadership responsibilities for planning, implementing, and coordinating the educational programmes of the University in line with its core mission and its strengths in the humanities and arts, and the social sciences.
• Takes leadership in introduction of new field of studies, ensuring balance of academic programme provision across the levels of study (Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels), development of online and distance learning for degree and non-degree programmes and Lifelong Learning programmes.
• In assuming these responsibilities, the Vice Rector must work closely with heads of academic departments, other administrators, and members of the faculty. While the managerial functions related to curriculum and instruction rest with heads of academic departments , the Vice Rector serves as a leader in long-term planning of educational programmes, assuring quality of instruction, selection and development of a distinguished faculty, and furthering the strategic plan, the educational master plan, and the goals and objectives the EHU.
• Will be in charge in matters related to curriculum and instruction, faculty selection, assignment, development, and retention.
• The Vice Rector will be the primary link between the academic staff and the Rector as well as the Governing Board in all budgetary matters related to instructional programs.
• The Vice Rector will work with the Student Services in all matters related to the coordination of the instructional programmes and student services.
• The Vice Rector will be accountable for achievement of University goals and objectives within the scope of Academic Affairs as set forth in the University Plan of Action, and for assessing and meeting the educational needs of Belarusian society;
• The Vice Rector will maintain relations with the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport of Lithuania and the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education when dealing with the University’s academic activities, organization of academic processes in order to ensure that the requirements of the Lithuanian Quality Assurance Center are complied with.
Research, Innovation and Policy outreach:
• The Vice Rector will take leadership in establishing research art as an integral part of University’s core mission, integrated with all other activities in a sustainable and financially supported manner through three pillars of research funding for structural research support, project seed funding and network building and grant acquisition.
• Will facilitate establishment of research support infrastructure integrated into the departments to support scholars in seeking new funding and the dissemination of results.
• Will facilitate establishment of research fund and oversee its use.
• The Vice Rector will facilitate generation and support new lines of societally relevant research/ art.
• The Vice Rector will liaise with Communication Department to ensure higher visibility of University research.
• The Vice Rector will take leadership in creation of conditions to develop forward looking and innovative research collaborations between humanities and arts, social science and IT.
• The Vice Rector will enhance collaborations and create new research networks in EaP and across Europe.
• The Vice Rector will take leadership in development of forward looking strategic research collaborations between humanities and social sciences and IT.
• Hold a first degree and relevant postgraduate qualifications, preferably a doctoral qualification.
• 5 years teaching experience in higher education with a demonstrated student-centered philosophy of education;
• Demonstrate a track record of outstanding achievement in a specific discipline.
• Have a successful record of academic leadership and management and/or business achievement, including significant and demonstrably successful experience in managing change, people and financial resources, probably through leadership and management of a significant academic unit.
• Have the credibility, experience and judgement to operate effectively at a senior level in the organization.
• Demonstrate a proven capacity for strategic thinking and planning.
• Show an ability to identify and develop partnership and business development opportunities.
• Have good understanding and knowledge of political development in Belarus.
• Be able to evidence breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding of the Higher Education system and its policy environment, and of an ability to respond effectively to this environment.
• Demonstrate strong commitment to the goals and values of the University.
• Possess highly developed skills in decision-making, persuasion, influencing and negotiation.
• Have the ability to work at pace and under pressure
• Be fluent in English and Russian. Knowledge of Belarusian and/or Lithuanian languages would be an asset.
• Appointed by the Governing Board (3-year contract);
• 40 hours working week;
• Remuneration EUR 3900-4110 gross;
• 40 days of paid annual leave.
NB! To participate in the competition by October, 10 (inclusive), provide your CV and cover letter by e-mail email@example.com to Mr. Andrius Kubilius, Chairman of the Governing Board. A full description of the requirements for candidates is available via the link. For any questions regarding the selection procedure please contact Ugne Chmeliauskaite (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The European Humanities University (EHU) is a private university of liberal arts, seeking high quality studies and science and having a strong social mission. Founded in Minsk in 1992, EHU moved to Vilnius when it was closed by the Belarusian authorities in 2004. EHU is studying around 700 most Belarusian students, who have access to full-time and extended courses in first, second and third cycle programmes, to participate in humanities and social sciences research.