The Rector reports to the Governing Board (GB) and collaborates directly with academic and administrative officers, leading a multinational staff to ensure the successful delivery of educational and research programs and the efficient operation of the university.
- To lead the development and implementation of a vision to advance EHU as an exceptional institution that maximizes the creative and academic potential of students, promotes academic excellence and critical thinking, and applies European values to accelerate civil society development through humanities and liberal arts education.
- To direct the execution of an ambitious program of change and development defined by the EHU Plan of Action 2021-2026, which aims to consolidate EHU’s reputation for high-quality learning and teaching and to expand the university’s activities in the sphere of research, innovation, and outreach.
- To lead fundraising initiatives and advancement campaigns to develop diversified income streams that secure the long-term financial viability of the university and advocate externally with donors, institutional partners, governments – particularly those Lithuanian ministries charged with financing and accrediting the university – and with domestic and international higher education organizations.
- To build a senior executive team committed to working with the entire EHU community in fulfilling the vision, goals, and priorities necessary to ensure the long-term sustainability of the university; maintain strong relationships with the Governing Board, GAPO, and the EHU Trust Fund in executing operational oversight and fiscal management; and ensure academic departments and administrative units are structured and operated in a manner that promotes alignment among students, faculty, the Senate, and the rectorate and encourages the efficient functioning of the entire institution.
- To foster a culture that attracts and retains capable students and high-caliber faculty to promote the academic success of students and the advancement of excellence in teaching, research, and public service and open EHU to the world by attracting more international students, faculty, and partnerships.
- To encourage and lead the development of research excellence and, where relevant, undertake initiatives to promote research, innovation, and enterprise to act as a catalyst for the Belarusian and regional economies while engaging with civil society, social partners, and businesses in Belarus and throughout the region.
- To model the spirit, values, and integrity of the university in championing its academic mission, social impact, and institutional growth.
- Professor or equivalent in a relevant academic field.
- At least five years of experience in teaching and research at a college or university, preferably in the field of humanities and social sciences, including relevant experience in international collaboration, PLUS at least five years of management or senior leadership experience with a college or university. Experience in working with EU structures and individual governments in Europe and good knowledge of the European university sector.
- Exceptional leadership, judgement, and decision-making skills; ability to delegate and to run the university as a facilitator of its sustainable development in accordance with the university’s objectives, agreed plans, timelines, and budget.
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural capabilities, with the ability to listen, lead, manage, and motivate diverse and complex international teams and to understand other peoples’ personality, motivations, and skills.
- Strict adherence to the values of the university in exile and principled resistance to collaboration with any individual, agency, or organization demonstrably involved in political repression or aggression against sovereign states.
- Demonstrated experience in raising financial support for projects and institutions and ability to cooperate with donors including governments, development agencies, foundations, businesses, and individuals.
- Strong, charismatic, and inspiring character able to work closely with all elements of the EHU community to build engaged and collaborative networks within and beyond the region while ensuring EHU’s crucial role within its academic ecosystem.
- Deep belief in the power of education to effect societal transformation and an understanding of the unique potential of EHU both to deliver a first-class education to students from Belarus and throughout the region and to launch a new generation of intellectually curious and socially active citizens.
Terms and Conditions:
- Term of contract: Five years
- Attractive remuneration package is up to 8500 Eur gross. Compensation potentially includes contribution to pension scheme, health insurance, reimbursement of housing (if non-resident at hiring), reimbursement of school fees, and travel expenses.
- 40 hours per week; 40 days of paid annual leave
- Motivational incentives depending on fulfilment of KPIs
Candidates should address all requested documents (notarized copies with certified translation into English) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should include:
- A motivation statement by the candidate formulated with reference to the University’s strategy;
- Resume (Curriculum Vitae), including a list of academic publications;
- A copy of the personal document of the applicant;
- A copy of the document certifying the award of academic degrees;
- Documents proving pedagogical and managerial experience;
- Guidelines for proposed activities of the University, formulated in accordance with the University’s strategy;
- Names, email and phone number of at least 3 (three) professional references (references will not be contacted without prior approval of applicants);
- Free-form declaration of good repute.
When submitting documents by email, all documents must be certified with a qualified electronic signature. An applicant may undertake to submit documents, which technologically cannot be certified by a qualified electronic signature, physically to the representative of the Search Committee, but not later than by the deadline for submission of documents.
Deadline for nominations and applications is July 15, 2022 at 21:00 (CET).
EHU values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.
The Rector will be appointed through public international competition provided by the Selection Committee. The appointment procedure is based on the principles of impartiality, objectivity,legality, publicity, equality, academic freedom, and transparency.
To assist in the procedure the University has announced a public Tender in contracting an executive recruiting firm (hereinafter referred to as the “Headhunter”).
The Governing Board is forming a Search Committee (hereinafter referred to as the “Search Committee”) consisting of 11 (eleven) members to conduct, with support from the Headhunter, the identification and screening of the best candidates for the position of Rector:
- Two representatives drawn from the GAPO;
- Two representatives drawn from the Governing Board;
- Two representatives drawn from the EHU faculty, one of whom shall be a leader of the Senate of the European Humanities University;
- Two representatives drawn from the donors of the European Humanities University, one of which shall be the Manager of the EHU Trust Fund;
- One representative drawn from the student body of the European Humanities University.
The University Community, the media, the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Lithuania will be informed about the results of the Rector’s appointment.
Rector of the EHU, Prof. Sergei Ignatov will serve his position through the end of February 2023.